Again this year May 18,2019 Tom and I, our family and friends registered for the Komen Race for the Cure because we want to make an impact in the fight against breast cancer. We pray that someday soon a cure will be found. Our daughter Shel didn't win her battle against breast cancer and left behind her husband Brian and their three sons Ethan, Alex, and Zac. Shel was so strong and fought hard to beat this cancer. She will be gone 9 years June 24 and our fight to stop this cancer goes on. Shel's cancer was one of the most aggressive cases that her doctors had ever seen. Shel was a strong, smart, beautiful, fun loving, young woman who loved her family and friends very much. She asked me why this had to happen now when she had everything in her life that she ever hoped for and more. I still have three wonderful daughters who I love with all my heart but a part of me is now missing. Shel and I spent a lot of time together that last year and two months. We talked, laughed, cried and prayed together. She is no longer with me but she is in my thoughts daily.Breast cancer has changed my life forever and I learned more about it then I ever wanted to know. Shel tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation and we learned that I passed it on to her which raises our chances of getting certain cancers by 50 - 85%. I passed it on to 3 of my 4 daughters. We have since traced it to my Mom's family and other family members have also learned that they also are BRCA1 positive. Some cancer preventing surgeries have been done by most to lower their chances of getting breast and ovarian cancer. Males who carry it are at a higher risk for prostate and male breast cancer. Shel would want us to do all we can to help find a cure so that other families don't have to say goodbye to someone they love. It makes my day to hear someone say that they have been declared cancer free and I pray that their battle is over and the cancer never comes back. I ask you to please click on 'Save the Mommies' and read it and see the pictures. I ask you to then click on each team member's name to read what they have written on thier personel page. Too many people have lost someone they love to cancer so please consider making a tax-deductible donation today in support of our fundraising efforts. We all have our causes we donate to but we are just asking you to think about adding this to your list.
You can donate online with your credit card by clicking the button [ donate to Joyce] above my fundraising thermometer. You can send a check to me writen out to the - Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and I will send it on to them.Thank you for any donation you are able to make.
Your support helps get one step closer to a world without breast cancer. They use 75 percent of the money raised through the Race stays in the community to fund local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs. The remaining 25 percent supports groundbreaking breast cancer research.
Together, we are fueling the best science, boldest community and biggest impact in the fight against breast cancer. And we will not stop until this disease is gone forever. That's our promise. Will you please join us in this fight by making a donation today?
Add your name to the list!